- National Drive Electic Week is underway and will wrap up on September 22. It will consist of over 300 events and stretch from Hawaii to Georgia.
- Although EV (electric vehicle) sales are steadily climbing, the awareness of their impact on driving and the environment still isn’t that well known.
- Innovators say that poor care dealer education is to blame for not informing the public properly about EVs.
- Several 2019-2020 EV models are set to release later this year. Below is a list of the top 5 that we think will get costumers excited.
National Drive Electric Week is underway and there are some innovative vehicles that are set to launch later this year. National Drive Electic Week (NDEW) takes place September 14-22 and is a nationwide celebration to increase the awareness of the benefits that electric vehicles have over internal combustion engine (ICE) vehicles.
NDEW was first celebrated in 2011 and has since then heightened the popularity of electric vehicles.
National Drive Electric Week Events
Back in 2011, when NDEW went by the name National Plug In Day, only 29 scheduled events took place. This year, the size and scope of the 9-day celebration have surpassed the inaugural year. From Hilo, Hawaii to Atlanta, GA, over 300 events have been scheduled.
Noah Barnes, Plug In America’s director of communications, said that “All of the events are created and organized by individuals and groups in their own communities. EV drivers are passionate about their vehicles and love to share their experiences with others.”
Electric Vehicles Still Need More Attention
During the event, prizes and awards are given to honor electric vehicle (EV) trailblazers that have helped push the industry forward. One of those winners, editor in chief of Transport Evolved, Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield said, “With more electric cars than ever before on the market, it’s easy to think that consumers must be aware of electric cars by now.”
Gordon-Bloomfield continued, “Even in areas traditionally viewed as welcoming of plug-in vehicles, there are still many challenges surrounding misinformation and misunderstanding. Much of that stems from poor dealer education, which leads to poor buyer awareness.”
Innovative 2019-2020 Electric Vehicles
If National Drive Electric Week doesn’t get you excited, the following innovative 2019-2020 EVs sure will. Below are some of the coolest new electric models releasing later this fall:
- 2019 Nissan Leaf e+ – This version of Nissan’s new Leaf will offer 45% more power and boasts of approximately 226 mpc (miles per charge).
- 2020 Mercedes-Benz EQC – Mercedes is getting its wheels’ wet again with this compact SUV that sports two electric motors enabling it to go from 0-60 mph in 5 seconds. It will possess an estimated 279 mpc.
- 2020 Porsche Taycan – The new Porsche is a four-door sports car that is shooting for 300 mpc that can push out 600 horsepower. The most impressive feature is its ability to got 0-60 mph in only 3.5 seconds.
- 2020 Volkswagen ID – Volkswagen is rumored to be putting together a line of EVs with its first one being the hatchback ID. Although it’s only powered by a single electric motor, its mpc range is between 249 and 373. A possible crossover model could be just around the corner as well.
- 2020 Tesla Roadster – Toping this list off is Tesla’s newest Roadster model. Aside from a more curvy profile, this iteration is shooting for 600 mpc and an acceleration rate of 0-60 mph in 1.9 seconds!