Sorry To See You Go!
Please enjoy these offers from our sponsors.
Trying to Save Money on Fuel? Here Are 3 Ways to Find Cheap Gas
- Being able to get the most out of your fuel is one thing, but finding the cheapest gas possible amid the volatile nature of the fuel industry is another thing altogether.
- However, there are 3 ways in which you can find the cheapest gas as you embark on your next journey.
- Plan your trip using a gas companion app. These apps allow you to locate the cheapest gas stations nearby.
- Plan your route in such a way that you’ll need to fill up in the states with the cheapest gas.
- In order to get the cheapest gas rates, fill up on Monday or Tuesday early in the morning.
You’ve probably read your fair share of articles talking about unique ways to save gas or basic tips for saving fuel. There’s a lot of good advice out there. But sometimes you’re more concerned with finding the cheapest gas available especially if you plan on filling up often during a road trip. Read on to discover 3 ways you can find the cheapest gas along your journey.
Gas Companion Apps
One of the quickest ways to find the cheapest gas during your travels is to use a gas companion app. The following apps will direct you towards fuel stations that offer the lowest gas prices.
- Gas Buddy – This app allows you to find the cheapest gas no matter where you are. You can use the app to plan your trip, pay for gas, and even receive cashback on fuel purchases. It’s your one-stop app for all things gas.
- Gas Guru – This app is very similar to Gas Buddy in that it allows you to compare gas prices in nearby areas. It also lets you see the exact date and time of the most recent gas price update.
- Get Upside – This discount app is a little more limited in that it only applies to gas in Texas and along the east coast, but you can save up to $0.25 a gallon.
Gas Up in the Cheapest States
Depending on where your road trip takes you, plan on filling up while driving through certain states that have the lowest gas prices. According to AAA, the top 3 states with the cheapest gas are Mississippi, Lousiana, and Alabama. You can check out the top 10 here.
Of course, filling up in certain parts of the country will take some planning, but it could really save you a lot of money that could be used elsewhere during your trip. It may be more difficult to find the cheapest gas the further west you travel, but at least you can save money during the first part of your trip.
Get Gas Early in the Week
The specific day of the week along with the time of the day is important in finding the cheapest gas prices. GasBuddy’s head of petroleum analysis, Patrick DeHaan says, “Very early in the week, when gas stations are generally a little bit quieter traffic-wise, is a great time to fill up. We generally see more volatility and higher prices later in the week.”
Mondays and Tuesdays are the best days to fill up for 48 states, while the weekend (Friday-Sunday) is the worst day to fill up for 37 states. Although there are some anomalies, early in the week is the best time to discover the cheapest gas prices. Prices tend to increase during the afternoon as well, so fill up in the morning to maximize your savings early in the week.